Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Hi Dianne,

Yes, see msg 16490 further up.

Re disks, Artie says "The discs that come with any Mac install at least the latest operating system (*) (**) plus bundled software; there is no need to buy black discs other than to upgrade your current version of OS X."

Confused now.

I'll thank dianne here for her post that highlights the fact that my answer to your disc question was not the answer to the question you asked and was, therefore, incorrect.

She is correct in saying both that the discs that will come with your new Macs will not be able to install Snow Leopard on your old Macs that you would like to upgrade and that unless those Macs are Intel Macs, which is not clear from your posts, they cannot run Snow Leopard under any circumstances.

Thank you for the clarification Artie, and I apologise for not having made myself clear.

There are 4 Macs in this office: 2 are Intel and 2 are not.

The 2 which are not, are going to be replaced with brand new Macs, which will be Intel. Thenceforeward, all 4 will be Intel.

It seems that in addition to buying 2 new Macs, I must now also purchase a 10.6 license (black discs) to upgrade the OS on the two existant Intel Macs to bring them all up to the same OS.

With a £2,000 spend on hardware, another £36 spend on an additional 10.6 license is acceptable.

Browsing around Amazon and Apple Store earlier, there are plenty of new iMacs to be had, running 10.6, and plenty of SL licenses too, within that cost.

Many thanks for answering and re-clarifying.