Originally Posted By: alternaut

As ganbustein explained in another thread, Spotlight/Finder won't show System files unless they are specifically included as search parameter.

I can't say I didn't miss that....I did....however, it even re-reading hasn't shed any more light for me. I read down the page a bit and found this.

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Did you already know those to be System files (and if so, how?), or did you hypothesize that that was the case (and if so, whence came your intuition?)?

I was almost certain they were. Preference files are considered "system files", and these are essentially preference files even if not in ~/Library/Preferences.

A "system file" appears to be anything that a user would not normally open. Thus, a "system file" is pretty much anything that is neither a document, an application, nor a folder.

Good point. When searching for Wish I wouldn't automatically assume it was a system file, or automatically anything else for that matter. So, I went back to the System Profiler and saw that it finds Wish under the heading "Applications", which suggests Spotlight should have found it. Confusion creeps in.

Not to worry. I'll just enter the suggested Spotlight search parameters (he said to himself hopefully) but could not figure out how - unless I'm missing something obvious.

Anyway, back to Pendragon's original question "Is it safe to delete the older version", I'm assuming that it's okay to delete the non-Intel version on an Intel machine.

Now, if I could just find it.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/08/11 07:55 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C