Originally Posted By: kevs

Cocktail: so you don't use it anymore then?
On the contrary I do use it on occassion as needed but I do not have it set up to run at a regular interval

Onyx -- if something is free but you don't need it, then why have it? It's just clutter.
I have it primarily because so many people use it that I like to have it around for testing and to verify things I post on FTM
MacPilot -- Launch services -- never heard of that. Of course I don't know a lot of things until a problem arises.

Agreed, but notbing can touch MacPilot for configuring OS X and OS X applications using hidden preference settings to fine tune your use of applications and the OS itself.
Tinker Tool. I'm amazed it solved this issue. Which cache did it flush that Cocktail did/could not?
In the first place TinkerTool is not what you used. You used TinkerTool System. Both are written by Marcel Bresink. TinkerTool was probably the first OS X configuration utility ever written and I have used it since OS X 1. TinkerTool System came along much later and as I said previously there is no overlap in functionality between the two other than TinkerTool System's ability to import the TinkerTool panes into its own GUI.

Joe, I would love to see you list of monthly maintenance. Once month I click that button in cocktail and I repair each hardrive manually. that's my monthly maintenance for my imac.

As OS X has matured I have gone from regular maintenance routines to a philospy of If it aint broke — don't fix it. The closest I come to regular preventative maintenance is continually running TechTool Protection or Drive Genius' Drive Pules routine in background to monitor drive health and provide early warning of volume damage or impending drive failure. Every six to 12 months I will use either TTP or DG to defragment and rebuild the volume structure more out of habit than anything else.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein