"in place"!!! So I download Lion from the MAS but I can't keep the download as a file as I could if it came to me as a .dmg. That's what "in place" means? If so, what a nuisance!

Okay let's suppose the nuisance. So I've installed Lion on my only Lion capable device -- my late 2009 iMac, having first updated it to 10.6.8. But later I want to do an erase and re-install of Lion on that computer. (Not a restore from my external HD. Don't ask why.)

So do I have to pay another $30 for the second download of Lion?

I think that I've already read that if I have a number of Lion capable physical devices bought from Apple in my name, the one payment of $30 covers downloads of "OS X Lion" (note the changed name) on up to and including five of those devices. But does that mean that I get five downloads (or even two) of Lion on my one and only Lion capable device for $30?

All will be revealed by Apple in the fullness of its time. But what will likely be revealed on this matter? Yeah, I know, speculation is usually a waste of time. But for old retired farts like me speculation is always fun. My guess is that Apple will charge me for the second (and additional) downloads but will also make available a Lion installation disk -- not free of course -- to satisfy many, many different needs or desires. I pity the poor IT guy who has to service 100 Macs from a Lion download to each Mac!

Last edited by RHV; 06/07/11 09:45 PM. Reason: typo