Originally Posted By: artie505
OK... So I'm a luddite and a non-visionary, both of which I'm happy with. grin If I were a PC user I'd likely still be bemoaning the loss of DOS, much the same as I don't particularly like the direction in which Apple is apparently headed.

There is no apparentlly about it. Did you catch the item in the Keynote that the App Store is already the largest software distributor in the world? Many developers marketing through the App Store are becoming overnight millionaires. Established software developers who have switched to App store distribution have seen sales increases of not 100% but 100 times.

From the reaction of the developers at the WWDC today they appear to be in full support of the direction Apple is taking if for no other reason than, to coin a phrase that Steve repeated several times today" It just works. And in the process it is making a lot of independent developers wealthy.

IMHO not all change is good and I am seldom, if ever, in favor of anything that tends to decrease competition, but so far it seems any shortcomings in the App Store concept are far outweighed by the positives.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein