Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe.
Nothing works currently in either Safari or Firefox.
Tried to right click and chose other, but Chrome was greyed out.
Anyway, it's a disaster right now for links. So I may start saving things again as html pages. But pdf is so much nicer. it's a shame!

Okay so I am an inveterate experimenter, but why the links are not working for Keys has me puzzled.

NOTE: In the interest of complete accuracy, add Search to the list of links that do not work. Like My Stuff and and Active Topics it comes out as a Javascript:Void(0) link.

In my latest round I tried
  1. printing to PDF using the Adobe PDF option which is availabel when Adobe Acrobat is installed. Surprise! none of the links work in the PDF created by Adobe Acrobat. I checked the JavaScript setings in Acrobat > Preferences but unless I am missing something, and I easily could be, I could find nothing that would make a difference.
  2. If I print a page to PDF from Camino, Firefox, or Google Chrome, none of the links work. Ie. I am getting the same results you are seeing.
  3. If I Print to PDF from TurboWeb I get the same results as I do from Safari. Since TurboWeb is based on Apple's WebKit this is not a big surprose.

Summing up to this point:
  1. The Mozilla browsers (Camino and Firefox) do not appear to be capable of doing what you want.
  2. Google Chrome does not appear to be capable of producing the results you want either. (Google Chrome is a very different code base from Mozilla, but the genesis of all these browsers have roots that are deeply embedded in Microsoft Windows. Apple and Microsoft take very different approaches to generating screen and print images and as a matter of pure speculation, I would suspect this is at the root of those browser's failure to produce your desire results.)
  3. The JavaScript menus are unlikely to ever work in PDF.
  4. WebKit based browsers are capable of producing most of what you are looking for.

All of which leads us back to your original question. The only way I can think of to progress from here is to ask more questions to further isolate the problem. If you have already answered some of them, please bear with me and answer them again. It is helpful to have everything in one place.
  1. Your signature indicates you are using OS X 10.6.2. I know this has been asked and answered in previous threads, but is there a burning reason you have not updated to OS X 10.6.7?
  2. What version of Safari are you running? The current version is 5.0.5
  3. Have you tried opening the PDFs in Adobe Reader 10.0.3 or Preview and if so, did the links work there?
  4. How long has it been since…
    1. You quit and restarted Safari?
    2. You shut down your Mac and performed a "cold boot"?
    3. You reset Safari, specifically:
      1. clear history
      2. remove webpage preview images
      3. empty the cache
  5. Do you have any Safari extensions installed and if so do you have Automatic updates turned on in Safari > Preferences > Extensions?
  6. Do you have any active Preference Panes that effect Safari?
  7. Do you have anything running that modifies or effects the user interface or screen display?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein