Keys are you opening the PDFs in Adobe Reader, Preview, or another PDF viewer? I just created a PDF using your technique and when I opened the resulting PDF using Adober Reader 10.0.3 the cursor changed to a hand when I rolled it over a link and although I did not test every link on the page all of those I tested. My Stuff and Active Topics triggered the Security Warning window, but did not go further probably because they are menus not single link items.

When I tried to open My Stuff and Active Topics in Adobe Acrobat 10.0.3 I got the following very informative message:
Originally Posted By: Adobe Acrobat Pro
Acrobat Web Capture cannot convert javascript links and the link often does not work correctly when opened in the web browser. Would you like to try to open this javascript link in the web browser anyway?

When I opened the PDF using Safari My Stuff and Active Topics first popped up a security warning and then
Originally Posted By: Safari
Safari can’t use JavaScript for this action.
Safari can’t run the script “void(0);” because Safari doesn’t allow JavaScript to be used in this way.

Google Chrome opened the PDF and the regular links opened perfectly, in fact in a more straightforward manner than Safari, but the JavaScript links My Stuff and Active Topics turned the pointer to a hand but did not do anything when clicked.

When I attempted to open the file in Firefox, it asked if I wanted to use Adobe Reader to open the file. Google Chrome opened the file and handled the links the same way as Safari, but without the additional security questions.

My conclusion from this testing is:
  • My Stuff and Active Topics on the FTM web site are working links in HTML
  • Simple links in PDF files do work
  • JavaScript links/menus embedded in PDF files may be recognized as links, but the JavaScript cannot be reliably interpreted if it can be interpreted at all
  • Of the apps tested only Safari and Adobe Acrobat Pro provided any meaningful feedback about the JavaScript links

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein