I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or have just been a power user too long to see how illogical your argument is.

If you're suggesting using Terminal to find the hosts file in question, your suggestion of sudo nano /etc/hosts is irrelevant; it only "finds" the specific file because it's given the path as an argument! If you already know the path, then using Finder's Go to Folder… command is what you'd use in the GUI, not Spotlight. (Yes, you'd enter /etc, not etc/hosts.)

If, on the other hand, you're suggesting using Terminal to edit the file, that's a different matter; I don't think nano's interactive interface will come very naturally to the sort of person who's "okay with CLI as long as they're given an exact command to type," since your one-liner gives them no clue as to how to navigate once they're in nano, but maybe that's just me.

But if you're championing Terminal as the easy route to editing, then there's no relevant comparison with Spotlight; Spotlight has nothing to do with editing.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors