> My guess is that stand alone computer troubleshooting forums do have a future. Computer problems often create a lot anxiety in the user, take a lot of time to fix, and require a good deal of special expertise.

I've had the same thought, but with no Facebook experience I wasn't certain that it was accurate to say that the expertise available at FTM is not available there.

I wonder if it's maybe time for some sort of "umbrella" organization...a single website to which users in need of help could go and, with a single login, gain access to anywhere from a few to many of the "free-standing" Mac support forums?

True, the scheme would leave each individual forum to sink or swim based on its shortcomings or merits, but that's what competition is all about.

And if it forces some forums to cut their scope and concentrate on the areas at which they are best (or even go out of business), it will, in the end, be in the best interests of those looking for help.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire