Two of the preceding posts illustrate the range of thought on this topic. I quote a salient statement from each of them below, followed by a comment of mine:
Originally Posted By: dboh
Like it or not, social media is the current face of communication.

If this is true (and I believe it's arguably the case), then we'd best be looking how to utilize the new media.

Originally Posted By: grelber
And if "friending" is any indication of a social network, then I'm happy — nay, ecstatic — to be a troglodyte and recluse.

This opinion is fine by me, but not very helpful against the backdrop of the preceding quote and its implications, as it would seem to prefer throwing out the (FTMF) baby with the (despised media) bath water.

While these two points of view seem mutually exclusive, I don't believe it is necessary to choose one over the other at this time. After all, we're still dealing with an 'and-and' option (this forum with 'hooks' in other sites) instead of an 'or-or' one, although that may eventually change. But regardless of what FTM's future format(s) will be, assuming there will be an FTM (let's say 5-10 years from now), I don't think it's smart to exclude anything off the bat.

alternaut moderator