Originally Posted By: roger
well, I happen to enjoy Facebook, and if, as tacit states, that's where a lot of forum (not just FTM) traffic is going, then it would make sense if we are going to continue, to make a presence there.

and might I humbly suggest that Facebook is what the user makes of it, and one might perhaps adopt a less ostrich-like approach. I have found it a wonderful, easy way to stay in touch with my friends around the world, coming as they do, from many internet locations, not to mention my family.

Your point must be well-taken; if Facebook is where the world is going, FTM's got to be there (although I can't begin to guess in what capacity).

But "ostrich-like approach" is a pretty one-sided, thoroughly non-objective way of characterizing my attitude (and, likely, grelber's).

In my world, social networking is talking to the person on the next barstool, the person on the other end of the phone line...you get the point.

I dig your point about keeping up with friends around the world, but even if I were in such a position I'd do it with Skype.

I don't remember the name of the Asimov book - It may be "Caves of Steel" - in which Lije Bailey and R Daneel Olivaw are sent to investigate a murder on a planet where nobody ever sees anybody else in person...where all social contact is hologrammatic.

But I clearly remember the reaction of one of the characters when told that the pair wanted to see her...along the lines of "But you're seeing me right now," followed by total astonishment when informed that that wasn't the "see" they were talking about.

And while many Americans are heading in that direction, I'm full-tilt in reverse. cool

And, finally, Facebook has an aspect that I dislike intensely: Once you go public on Facebook, everybody out of your whole past somehow finds you, leaving you in the position of having to either accept their "Friend" offers and deal with them or reject their offers and hurt them.

Naaah!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire