Originally Posted By: GrayShades
Originally Posted By: artie505
I d/l'ed NeoOffice (150Mb as I recall) once, and I was put off by two things:
  1. Maybe I overlooked, but it I couldn't find any way to install only the spreadsheet component, and
  2. Although it opened my Excel spreadsheet, it somehow (I don't remember the specifics.) didn't present it in a format that I found acceptable.
I'd love to get Microsoft off of my deuced Mac(hina), but, so far...

1. Yes, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and Symphony are all one program with several components, so you cannot install just one part. But I don’t see how that is a problem. NeoOffice is fast, stable, etc. I have used it for several years and it has never crashed and has never failed to do what I need.

2. Not sure what you mean by “format unacceptable.” I had used MS Excel on the Windows side for 8 years in a Fortune 100 company and was one of the top analysts / Excel power users. I have not used Excel for 3+ years, and no longer work at the power level. But I often exchange spreadsheets with Excel users and have never had a problem. My MBP is 3+ years old and has never had MS products; I never miss any of it.

1. Not really a problem so much as I just plain don't want to have to run such a huge program when I need only a small portion of its functionality.

2. I'm not sure what "unacceptable" means either, because I experimented quite a while ago. I only remember that my spreadsheet didn't look the same as it looked in Excel and that I couldn't find any way to "correct" it, and I did spend some time trying to make it work.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire