Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Quote:
Also, in case you guys are not aware of it, another on-line acquaintance has posted that DW 4.3 does NOT run if you're logged in as root user.

Quote:
That's correct, DiskWarrior 4.3 does not run while running as a root user. There's no reason to run DiskWarrior while logged in as root.

If you'd like to pursue it, the writer was Marc Moorash, Alsoft Technical Support. <tech.support@alsoft.com>

Tell me that isn't just the MOST infuriating response to get from tech support. me: "It doesn't work when I do that." them: "well then, don't DO that."

Of the somewhat limited contact I've had with their tech support, 50% of their responses to my bug reports simply told me to quit doing what I was trying to do. They're just totally dismissing the problem as a user issue.

I can't help but wonder if the response on this specific issue is related to their claiming I'm "not allowed" to use their software on a hard drive I don't own. (as few "regular users" run as root, as I need to) I'm almost certain the conversation would take an immediate segway in that direction to shut me down if I were to try to discuss it with them. And then I'd just be trying to hire Balmer to come throw me a chair.

To further my rant, There's no reason to run DiskWarrior while logged in as root. Here's a real good reason. I WANT TO. Quality software runs properly under "all reasonable conditions", not just under ideal conditions or arbitrarily selected conditions. If I change my desktop picture and your app crashes, don't tell me it's my problem and I need to set my desktop picture back to defaults. You need to fix your app.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department