Originally Posted By: tacit
There are people who, for whatever reason, pay attention to fashion, think about fashion from a young age. There was an interesting podcast I was listening to a while ago that basically said there's no such thing as innate genius; that people who are brilliant at something, whether it be painting or music or engineering or fashion, are brilliant simply because of the focus they give it and the amount of attention they devote to it.

While that may be part of it, I don't think that's the most important factor. Most people's minds are tradeoffs. Good at this, bad at that, good at this, bad at that. I know I'm that way. I have the memory of a goldfish and the artistic skills of a concrete block. No matter how much time I invest in subjects that require either of those skills, I won't amount to anything. On the other hand, I've been very focused, analytical, and mathematical from an early age, so it's not surprising I gravitated toward repair, electronics, and later computers. I think the reason people that are good at xyz were seen to focus on it and spend time at it from an early age were doing so because it's something they already had a knack for, and it made those activities involving and quickly rewarding. Applied "correlation is not causation", I believe you're confusing the cause with the effect. Being naturally good at something can be its own reward and driving force at an early age, developing into a growing circle of being good at something, and improving your skills on it.

So I believe that truly successful people are those that identify their strengths at an early age, and aggressively capitalize on them, not those that randomly pick a venue and are the most aggressive overall with it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department