Originally Posted By: macnerd10
First, what is your Office version? If it is 2001 or 2004, the XML converter is engaged automatically.

I am Office 2004 and usually XML Converter works in the background. I only tried it by opening the application first because I thought it might generate some other information.

1. Corrupt Normal file. You might like to drag it to the desktop while Word is not open and restart Word. The file will be recreated. The drawback is that you will lose custom formatting and toolbar customization.
2. The file is corrupt in the download process. Trash it and download again from the e-mailer. What happens when you try to open the rtf. file?

I tried these but to no avail. The RTF would not open.

Sometimes repairing permissions and restarting can get rid of this problem too if the file is OK. You could start from this procedure.

I did a Permissions Repair after my first failed attempt but it didn't help.

NOTE: I am now thinking the problem may be inside the original document related to the way edits were executed. I managed to open the .docx in TextEdit using the trackball Right Click.

The first version of this document was 61 KB but the new version is only 25KB.

While the new version is missing several sections from the first version, it does have new material.

On one page there appears to be an illogical Page Break that wasn't in the first version.

I have emailed my findings to my daughter but am unable to answer if she should ask: "What, in an edit, would cause this?"

Thoughts, anyone?

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/16/11 11:57 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C