Originally Posted By: grelber
With Twain's quote you may just have done yourself out of a debate. tongue

....only if everyone agrees that Twain is right.

Although I posted the quote, I'll be the first to question its wisdom. He seems to be saying "To each his own" and I have no trouble agreeing with that thought. However, it seems to me that there are things that can generally be called tasteless, when measured against a "standard" of the "majority vote".

The "standard" is likely a moveable line such as the determination of obscenity is some jurisdictions being based on comparison with community standards. I'm pretty sure we've all said, at one time or another, "That comment was in poor taste."

Originally Posted By: grelber
Some tastes have a maturational component, changing from childhood to adolescence to adulthood...

No argument here......I think about my youngest daughter who, as a child, would never eat anything except the plainest foods possible. Her idea of a hamburger was meat and a bun - nothing else. Today she is an incredible cook always experimenting with various spices and condiments. She's already had things that still cause me to go "Eeeeeoooo".

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/12/11 12:53 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C