Got a late 2009 iMac with 10.6.6 on it. Have Safari 5.03 on it -- with problems just recently appearing (during the past two days).

What's the problems?

Lots of websites load quickly and normally in Safari. But:

-- Some websites do not load after five minutes (I'm impatient and so never wait longer) -- and Activity under Safari's Window menu shows that there is only a partial loading in such cases -- say 65 of 74 items have loaded.

-- Sometimes the website loads (quickly or shortly after my resetting the blue colouring over the URL address and hitting Return again) -- but with the cog wheel spinning for five minutes after the loading. Here Safari Activity again shows only a partial loading. In this case, I can use some links on the web page downloaded and the back button works -- not for other links where no page emerges or a page does emerge but the back button does not then work.

FireFox, however, works properly all the time. But I'd like to stay with Safari

So what have I done? I downloaded the new update for Safaria -- 5.04. No good. I used DU to verify the disk and to repair permissions. No seemingly relevant problems reported. I Reset Safari, checking all the boxes. No good. I removed the Safari plist from my Home Library Preferences. No good. I downloaded a new Safari from the Apple site and installed it. No good. I used Diskwarrior from my external drive to repair the volume with Safari on it. No Good.

I have the impression that the trouble hails from pictures/videos that are not coming through with Safari but that do with FireFox. And that's because sometimes when the Safari websites load (but not fully according to Activity), it's a picture/video that shows up as a blank But I'm not very confident of this suggestion.

You will want a website example of my problem -- it won't likely be yours. But anyway, here is a baddie of mine -- my hometown newspaper: winnipegfreepress.com

Hope somebody has had this problem before and was able to cure it without major surgery.