Until recently I have used Image Capture very successfully to scan with a Canon MP610 multifunction printer. Simple and quite adequate for my purposes. But opening Image Capture to initiate a scan now results in an interminable delay before the printer shows up in the Devices pane on the left of the window while the message "No camera or scanner connected" is displayed in the centre pane. The delay is usually several minutes but more often as long as it takes to curse most vehemently and make a cup of coffee before stomping back to the machine.

I can't be sure but I think it started with the 10.6.5 update. I have tried several remedies suggested in other forums (deleting and re-adding the printer, resetting the printing system, changing the USB port and prayer) but to no avail. My research suggests that this issue also occurs with other brands of printer.

Perhaps 10.6.7 or Lion will fix this but, in the meantime, does anyone have any other suggestions so that I can resume digitising 30 years worth of photos?