Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:
No! Hardware is Apple's business, and "It Just Works" is as you say, but "User Experience" is more appropriately tied to the interaction between Macs, "i" devices, and the world as Steve Jobs envisions it...a (so to speak) come-lately.

Huh? When I got my first Mac in 1993, the compelling factor in my choice of platforms was the Macintosh user experience. Steve Jobs was off running NeXT (which, incidentally, had stopped making hardware altogether and was concentrating on further refinements to the operating system which lies at the core of OS X). The "i" devices weren't even on the drawing board yet.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been, and maybe I simply should have coined a new term, but the Mac user experience has evolved into something that, as you've pointed out, wasn't even dreamt of in 1993.

Quote:
Actually, you said "I'm beginning to get the idea that 'It just works!' has so infiltrated Apple's thinking that they've begun to believe it...forgotten that tag lines are for the marks...that believing them yourself is the first step down the road to nowhere." I doubt I'm the only one who thought you were dismissing "It Just Works" as just so much hucksterism.

Every ad tag-line is some degree of truth (well...not always) embellished by some degree of hucksterism, and although there's no way I'd ever begin to suggest that "It just works" is 100% hucksterism, because that just isn't so, neither will I say that it's 0% hucksterism.

Under any circumstances, though, what I did say was that you're in trouble when you swallow your own hucksterism, regardless of degree.

> I'd love to see a parse tree for that sentence.

I've never run across the term, but I assume that a parse tree is the same as a sentence diagram, so, anticipating the 1st day of next X-mas...

Quote:
peartridge |            
   \A

grin

Last edited by artie505; 02/16/11 07:47 AM. Reason: Cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire