Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
".... the Macintosh user experience..." "....attracted lots of buyers to the original Macintosh who had no interest whatsoever in the DOS user experience. In the Mac user experience, by comparison, both the hardware and software were remarkably transparent. Folks without any background in either could just do stuff."

I agree 100%. In fact, that was the deciding factor for me in buying my first computer, a Mac.

In 1983 I was running a television production centre and would see people doing amazing things with spreadsheets, databases, word processing et cetera and I thought "I'd sure like to to have that analytical power at my fingertips".

Then there would be a loud and anguished cry as someone hit a wrong key: "@*&$%@#. I just lost two *@#^*&%ing hours of work. Aaaaargghhh!!" As much as I wanted the benefits of computers I didn't want that frustration. I stayed with pen and paper.

In January 1984 a production switcher told me that the computer for me was at a show up the street, adding something about a device called a mouse and a trashcan on the screen. That day I got my first Mac c/w MacPaint and MacWrite (MultiPlan was on the way) and the rest is history.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C