Quote:
No! Hardware is Apple's business, and "It Just Works" is as you say, but "User Experience" is more appropriately tied to the interaction between Macs, "i" devices, and the world as Steve Jobs envisions it...a (so to speak) come-lately.

Huh? When I got my first Mac in 1993, the compelling factor in my choice of platforms was the Macintosh user experience. Steve Jobs was off running NeXT (which, incidentally, had stopped making hardware altogether and was concentrating on further refinements to the operating system which lies at the core of OS X). The "i" devices weren't even on the drawing board yet.

And I was a (so to speak) come-lately; the "computer for the rest of us" campaign attracted lots of buyers to the original Macintosh who had no interest whatsoever in the DOS user experience. In the Mac user experience, by comparison, both the hardware and software were remarkably transparent. Folks without any background in either could just do stuff.

Quote:
And I never suggested that there's anything wrong with "It Just Works" other than that Apple's current position is that just because Apple thinks it works and is good for you you don't need a means to undo the "good" even if you think it's bad.

I'd love to see a parse tree for that sentence. wink

Actually, you said "I'm beginning to get the idea that 'It just works!' has so infiltrated Apple's thinking that they've begun to believe it...forgotten that tag lines are for the marks...that believing them yourself is the first step down the road to nowhere." I doubt I'm the only one who thought you were dismissing "It Just Works" as just so much hucksterism.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors