Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
User Experience is Apple's business, not hardware, and I think "make it just work" is a design philosophy whose success is largely responsible for the company's ascendancy.

I agree. It's easy to look at what a company produces and not think of anything else as being their real 'business'. If I am allowed another analogy.......

I haven't been in a McDonalds for more than twenty years (last going when my daughters were children) but I do recall wondering why McDonalds was doing so much better than anyone else in the hamburger business. Let's face it, how tricky can it be to make a hamburger?

I realized that, while hamburgers were involved in the business transaction, McDonalds success was actually due to selling an experience that the kids liked, with bright colours, toys, a place they'd see their friends, et cetera.

Just as importantly, they were selling something else to the parents - cleanliness and a safe environment.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 02/09/11 06:36 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C