I'll respond to you and ryck at the same time...

The comment to which you responded was facetious; if Apple ever tried to do what I suggested they'd be anti-trusted so quickly they wouldn't know what hit them (which in no way means that they haven't got a legal team working on it wink ).

Hardware is Apple's real business, and I think that controlling which software runs on it should not be a part of their business model.

Sure, they can control parameters up to a point, but if I want to run APE (by way of excellent example) it's none of Apple's business.

I'm beginning to get the idea that "It just works!" has so infiltrated Apple's thinking that they've begun to believe it...forgotten that tag lines are for the marks...that believing them yourself is the first step down the road to nowhere.

Just because Apple thinks the newest version of a piece of software works, is an improvement, whatever, doesn't mean that everybody thinks similarly and wants the old version overwritten by default.

I think App Store.app would be a better piece of software if it offered users a pre-d/l "A & I" option (when feasible).

I wish ryck and those with similar attitudes good luck, but their's is not the route I'll take unless I'm dragged, kicking and screaming.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire