Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Originally Posted By: artie505
Since my battery virtually never gets any use, working it is critical, whereas accurate readouts, which are nice to have, are not all that necessary other than to keep tabs for insurance purposes or preparatory to selling a deuced Mac(hina).

Actually I'd suggest the greater risk for you is never using the battery, and never calibrating it. I frequently see customers come in with an older machine with a cycle count under 20, and the battery has about a 5 minute charge, because it's never been used or cycled and that makes the battery develop a charge memory, ruining it. It's hard for some customers to understand the irony of the situation, that their "saving their battery" by never using it, has lead to its early demise.

That's precisely what happened to my iBook battery, which I unhappily discovered while I was prepping it for sale. frown

And that's why I've made a point of running my MacBook's battery down once a month, but the calibration process is such a pain that I do it faaar less frequently, 'cause, after all, it's really only a statistic.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire