Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: artie505
Part of the problem is that an apparently significant percentage of users is disinclined...

That's for sure....and it's beyond me. Once, when looking for user reviews, I recall a case (don't remember the software) where some people were angry that a previously free piece of software now had a nominal charge of five dollars. A measly five bucks!

It's not unreasonable to think that anyone who can afford a computer and its operating costs can spring for five dollars. Consider the guy in your SnapBack example. I'm sure if he got only $2 for every hit he'd be ecstatic.

ryck

Actually, Philippe's "happiness threshold" is only $1 per d/l.

I've also seen freeware, which may or may not have been donationware, become shareware, and
  1. The switch was likely a developer reaction to making either no or virtually no money from a huge number of d/l's.
  2. The loudest protesters were likely those with the deepest pockets.
But I disagree with your "afford a computer" reasoning, because many people can barely afford to have bought the used computer they own, are running old operating systems because they can't afford the upgrades, and perhaps can't even afford to spend $1, let lone $5, for functionality that is nice for either free or "free" but which they'd live without if they had to pay for it.

But that doesn't give them the right to feel either entitled or betrayed. (OK... There is MainMenu and its ilk.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire