Originally Posted By: macnerd10
With all due respect [(*)], these guys could make it shareware. What's wrong with that?

As far as the present instance, the one that prompted me to post, goes, Apple does not allow listings in the Safari Extensions Gallery to be shareware.

And as far as 3rd party stuff in general goes, shareware means more restricted distribution and implies a more commercial attitude on the part of the developer.

Many developers are not interested in being entrepreneurs as much as they are interested in helping the general body of Mac users and maybe clearing a few bucks for their time and effort, and the donationware model enables them to do that at users' discretion rather than at a fixed price that many users might find beyond their means and/or inclination.

Part of the problem is that an apparently significant percentage of users is disinclined, and, I suspect, another apparently significant percentage simply does not know that they're dealing with shareware, because it was listed as freeware.

(*) > I also always donate if I use donatioware

You're one of the gentlemen who led me to say "almost everybody." smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire