Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Here's another thought: When you booted from the installation disk, was that the same OS version as the one that's installed? If you used, for example, a 10.5 disk to repair a 10.6 system, the version of Disk Utility will not be correct.

Just asking.

It shipped with SL and that's the disk I used to make the repair, same as last time when the 'Lost + Found' first showed up, but it happened again. Not good.

Last night I ran the built-in Hardware Test the Mac comes with, you know, when you start it up pressing the D key. I ran the long tests and I went to sleep. When I woke up it didn't find any problems. I don't know if that does a surface scan. I'd rather not throw out money on all kinds of disk utilities if it's just a plain bad drive. If there is one utility that is a general 'must have,' that's fine. I just can't afford 3 packages. Anyway...

I think I can make a pretty good case at the dealer where I bought it that does Apple Warranty repairs that it needs a new HD. The touchy point may be what they will be willing to replace it with. It looks like the Seagate was the cheapest 500mb 7200 going. I'm trying to research which drive doesn't seem to have a conflict with SMS like the Seagate one. I have awhile left in the Apple warranty to do some research and additional time in the Seagate warranty.

Apparently, Apple is not giving straight answers as to whether the SMS function is part of the drive or part of the Apple hardware.

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2845067

I think I may or may not be dealing with a very complicated problem. For those who didn't see this link, here is where I first stumbled upon the idea that SMS was involved in the HD errors I was getting:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-X...20ASG/m-p/31340

I did download an SMS based game just to see if SMS was working, and it was. Any thoughts here?

Also, if I do get a new drive, I think it will have to be built 'from scratch' and put just my user files in because I think if I do a backup and restore it will retain this file count error. Arrgggg.

Last edited by alternaut; 11/30/10 02:52 AM. Reason: Fixed links

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air