step 5 seems excessive. possibly problematic as well. Having a battery fall into hibernation is annoying. Apple's batteries are intelligent, and require the electronics to be functioning to TAKE a charge, meaning if they ever do get truly fully discharged, they're bricked, forever.

When a battery is "dead" that it won't turn on the computer anymore, it still has enough power to communicate with the computer and start accepting a charge. But if it sits too long that way (no firm numbers anywhere on "how long" this takes) the battery safeties into hibernation mode. In that mode it can be identified by the computer as present, but will not accept any charge at all. About every 10-20 minutes, the battery will briefly wake from hibernation and check for the computer. If there's a computer willing to charge it, it will switch into charge mode and begin charging.

Therefore a battery that's hibernating can appear to be defective in that it won't take a charge. The solution is usually to let it sit for a long time (hour or more) on AC power - you'll usually return to see it has started charging. We've had close to a dozen people bring in their macbooks/pros in with a battery they claim is defective/needs replacing because it won't charge, and that I was able to wake from hibernation and restore to normal function by leaving it on AC all day.

But still I'm surprised that apple would suggest taking a battery down far enough to enter hibernation. That's a dangerous place to be. If it gets too low, it will no longer be able to check for the computer, and will be bricked.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department