[rant]

As part of his response to my questioning the possibility of a Safari Extension that I, and, I think, others, would find useful the developer of SnapBack (with whom I've got an excellent working relationship and whose word I unhesitatingly take at face value) responded

Quote:
And BTW, if it was, I don't believe it would be lucrative, to be honest. At this point my SnapBack page got more than 50,000 hits, but so far I've received less than $30 in donations.

(Emphasis added) and that calls for a strong statement...

Donationware is not free(ware) (!!!) as it is so often misrepresented by both d/l hosting websites and posters, and if you take a coupl'a minutes to visit the websites of the developers of every piece of "freeware" you think you're running you'll find that a (possibly significant) percentage of them include a more or less prominently displayed, but sometimes buried, donation solicitation.

The quoted statistic paints a shameful and disgusting picture of computer users' (in general, I suspect) lack of appreciation for the generally considerable, frequently hair-tearing and sleep-loss causing, efforts of developers and lack of respect for their solicitations.

So, please, people... Take the time, make the effort, search for those donation links, and support those who invest their time to make our computing experience a happier one!

Give 'em a buck, or whatever you can afford, to show your appreciation. (If a developer's donation page is set up to accept a fixed amount that you think is either excessive or beyond your means contact hir; I know it's possible for such stuff to be changed, because a developer who was set up to take euros sent me a link that enabled me to make my donation in dollars.)

[/rant]

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire