Hal, for some reason or other, you seem to be taking my posts a tad too seriously - or misinterpreting them. I'm not claiming that SophosAV is total snake oil - it's clearly not. But equally clearly, the need for it is still largely a marketing ploy. That's what I object to, and that's what I've tried to point out. If people want to run it, that's their choice, but I hope they're doing it with their eyes wide open - clear that (a)there is still no compelling need for AV software to run in the background on a Mac and (b) free may not stay free.

As for linking to MacNerd's post, that was simply because his was the last post in the thread at the time and I'm not used to board software that links directly to just ONE person's post - none of the other two Mac boards I participate in actively use this board software. My apologies if I confused things. wink MacNerd does point out that the SophosAV found 3 Trojans and 2 spyware/malware "things" in his Java cache files that weren't found by ClamAVX. He also indicates that he's not sure they were in fact malware, or whether Sophos just identifies them as such. Without knowing what they were called, it's a little difficult to respond to that. At any rate, running Onyx and asking it to clear out the Java cache will be just as effective, no? Or just dump that cache file by hand... (Assuming here that we're talking about files that are in fact only harmful to Windows users). Anyway, perhaps I appear to have come on as rabidly against SophosAV - that was not really my intention. What really bothers me is the marketing that goes on to convince people that they really need stuff they really don't by scaring them. Anti-bacterial hand cleaners fall into the same category. grin (actually, they're far worse, but that's another topic entirely...) CDC - Antibacterial Household Products: Cause for Concern

Mid-2012 15" 2.7Ghz MacBook Pro Retina, 16GB RAM, OS 10.13.1
Late-2014 27" 4Ghz iMac 5K, OS 10.13.1
iPad Pro
iPhone 5