I agree in spirit with the sentiment you convey, but just want to clear up some details...

Originally Posted By: Paddy
Well, in response to Harv's original question - I'm not about to install anything that runs constantly in the background and has the potential to gum up my system.

The original question was about ClamXAV, which doesn't belong in that "runs constantly in the background" category. [edit: i.e., by default... launch at login, scan scheduling, and sentry watch are all disabled.]

There are still no viruses for Macs in the wild and as Tacit says, the likelihood that I'll pass on that oh-so-helpful label .jpg that "DHL" or "UPS" (yeah, right) just sent me is nil.

Might want to read this thread at Sophos with some 60-odd responses in 2 days. (And whose bright idea was it to list the responses backwards?? Page 7 is the FIRST page at the moment. Very, very weird.)

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-An.../td-p/63/page/7

Seems to be connected to users with BootCamp partitions: Slow-down when scanning? Work-around now available!. [fwiw, not all 7 pages contain negative comments... and those "pages" hold a small number of posts (compared to most forums).]

And I find this whole thing about it being free quite fishy. I doubt very much that it will stay free - that's not how Sophos operates. FUD, on the other hand, is much beloved by the AV producers operating in the Mac realm.

Yeah well, google is "free" too... yet somehow they're "worth" billions.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/07/10 04:41 AM.