Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Most will agree, I presume, there are no true Apple viruses (though Trojans are becoming popular of late). Yet, many install ClamXav.

Ergo my question to those of you who do install Clam. Why do you bother?

I'm very careful where I travel on the web and never open anything unless I'm sure it's safe. If I receive spam I immediately write a rule that takes it out, and then I go to Webmail and report the spam to my ISP.

However, in spite of all the care, there are other ways things could be spread.

Like everyone else, I know lots of people who think that writing a letter is sending the latest joke, a link to some guy eating a motorcycle tire, a "forward this, have great fortune" email, or whatever. I've also read that these are among the ways that malware is spread.

Et cetera, et cetera.

For me, ClamXav is cheap insurance. Even if there isn't something happening today, I'd just as soon be prepared if it does.

I also like that it seems to be well written and doesn't adversely affect my machine's performance. I don't use much extra "stuff" (e.g. ClamX, Super Duper, Clean App) but, at the point I decide to buy something (and I try before I buy), I will have researched carefully and asked questions.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C