JMB's post was so thorough I don't have anything better to add. Only that I was a clicky kb lover like you and eventually gave up several years ago and settled on the least of other evils, ironically a Microsoft keyboard. Since then, I've lost my clicky snobiness and am more willing to deal with various types, even the frankly too-tiny one on my Dell Mini 9. The only keyboard I refuse to use is the one on my wife's Macbook. It's the worst I've ever used. I'm still convinced there's something physically wrong with it, so will eventually bring it in before the 3-yr AppleCare expires. Actually, the worst keyboard ever is one I was given at the office a couple of years ago. I think it was a Kensington and it had these weird diamond-shaped keys, probably trying to be more "natural" angled or something. It was so bad, I went out and bought my own, which is what I'm typing on right now: another MS keyboard. Despite any other qualms with MS, I stand by their input devices as some of the best around. Where I remain a snob is with my MS Trackball Explorer, which like the old IBM keyboards has become a fetish item on eBay, with good-conditioned ones often going for 2-3x original price. (Despite that, I have a spare that I refuse to sell, just in case one of mine breaks.) Why MS discontinued them -- or rather why they didn't bring them back after the groundswell of aftermarket buzz -- we'll never know.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel