Originally Posted By: grelber
Which means I don't have whopping big 'communications' expenditures.

FWIW —even though my iPad is WiFi-only (no 3G builtin) —i have "installed" both Skype and sipgate (free apps).

I did sign up with sipgate (absolute zero 'monthly' charge, no charge for any incoming calls, and 1.9 cents/minute for outgoing calls to international landlines, and 17.9 cents/minute to international cell phones (in 'modern' countries that is).

E.g., using my iPad on my home WiFi setup in the USA, i called my old college friend in Australia (house phone) and spoke for 55 minutes. My credit dropped a whopping dollar and five cents ($1.05 USD). Also —while visiting Stockholm recently —I was also able to call USA for that same low 1.9¢ per minute by using the free WiFi at McDonald's (and many other establishments, including pubs).

Of course, either program can also be installed on regular computers as well... and both can call totally free to other "users" across the Internet. [e.g., i can talk computer-to-computer over the web with my Skype-using friends in Sweden (from whence Skype originally hails, btw) for free... literally endlessly.]

After decades of getting fleeced by Ma Bell, it's amazing to see how cheap calls can be via VoIP.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/27/10 04:15 AM.