Originally Posted By: artie505
I took a look at Backing up and restoring bookmarks...

I tried restoring from "bookmarks.html,"...

Since Firefox's automatic bookmark backups are named bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json and its manual backups are, by default, named in the same fashion, I'm not sure what would lead you to try to restore from bookmarks.html. I sure hope you didn't take from my previous post any notion that I was suggesting such an approach!

I was attempting to direct kevs to a Firefox support document, rather than to suggest taking action on the basis of "a wild guess," but it seemed clear to me from his reply that the problem is that since he "need[s] to keep the current set," as he "change[s] things all the time," he's not looking for a solution which requires overwriting the existing set of bookmarks with a previous set.

I therefore offered a workaround involving exporting, not backing up, to an html file—which Firefox names, by default, bookmarks.html—and bookmarking, not restoring from, that file.

In any case, were he to attempt to overwrite his current set with one of the automatic bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json backups—or with any other file, if he selected Choose File... instead—he'd first be presented with a dialog stating This will replace all of your current bookmarks with the backup. Are you sure?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors