North of the 49th we're going to digital TV transmission in November 2011 (in the same way as south of the 49th in February 2009). There has been precious little anticipatory information disseminated up here and certainly no suggestion that vouchers for converters would be made available (unlike in the USA). In the past year and a half I have heard of no major or minor issues with the transition in the States.

Given that I acquire my TV signals over the air from local transmission towers, I would like to continue to do so down the road. Digital TV antennas are cheap and apparently sound. No hoopla regarding converter boxes, however; nobody seems to know anything about such in this part of the world.

My DVD player clearly converts digital signals to analog for my TV (which has only an analog tuner). My 13-year-old VHS VCR (Panasonic PV-7664) to which my current analog-signal antenna is attached and which provides pass-through of same to the TV tuner works just fine; its tuner is only analog.

Query: Anybody have a clue how to prepare for the blackout to come if product isn't available?

On the other hand, it might be a blessing in disguise. News via radio and newspaper (just like before the 1950s), and using the TV as a movie viewer via DVD. Think of the time saved (rather than wasted), and no commercials.