Originally Posted By: alternaut
....but doing so would likely muddy the waters more than they already seem to be.

The thread has moved considerably from the original denouncing of Mr. Gibeau's lame defense of Medal of Honor, but who's counting? Isn't that what's supposed to happen in The Lounge?

Wouldn't you agree that your statement is true for any genre of writing, not just science fiction, but also including many (if not most) works earning the highest praise and prizes?

I agree generally (although "any genre of writing" might be an overstatement) but I would further suggest that "limited appeal" is applicable in art forms other than literature (or writing, if you prefer). A perfect example is jazz. I am a fan of jazz but there are styles that, in my opinion, are just bizarre and a long way from musicality.

I don't quibble with the right of people to create that jazz, or to be fans of it, but I find that the proponents dismiss non-fans with "You just don't get it" and they act as though all else is inferior.

It's the kind of dismissiveness I've "heard" in this thread.

Who's right? I suspect that your answer would be the experts.

Actually, you're wrong.

And, in the case of getting opinions on "Use of Weapons", I read what people had said on various blogs.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/10/10 10:25 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C