> [....] Rather, I think the point is to make it easy for the technically unsophisticated user to keep his or her software up to date without paying much attention at all to the whole process.

By formally Ignoring updates which are continually irrelevant, a user can, in general, just click the "Install n Updates" button whenever it pops up, without further ado: out of sight, out of mind. [....]

Having read any number of "I click on 'Install' whenever Software Update offers me anything" posts and not remembering (which is no assurance of anything grin ) any that qualified that with "Ignore" I'm not convinced that your scenario is either commonplace or one that was envisioned by Apple's engineers; I think there's an interesting poll here. (I also think there's a trip to the lounge in our future.)

One thing's for sure, though... "Ignore" is likely to deter all manner of do-gooders from installing unwanted (even if only "yet") software.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire