Originally Posted By: tacit
Many video games, such as Bioshock, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and so on, have very strong storylines. It's not just about "racking up as many kills as possible;" the game's story and setting unfold as you play. Hell, I've seen video games that have characters who are better described and more complex than the characters in a lot of movies I've seen!

I have now taken time to read the "plots" of the games you used as examples and, generically, they do not appear to be much different than each other or many games that have gone before....as long as 25 or 30 years ago.

The protagonists are put into a dangerous situation and must find their way out, perhaps achieving other goals along the way. They have opportunities to acquire things or form alliances that will help them and, depending how far along they are, the dangers become more challenging.

Depending on how successful they have been in dealing with the dangerous individuals or situations, their health deteriorates. There are ways to restore their health. Et cetera, et cetera.

Ho hum.

I read descriptions of the differences in the way these games use camera angles and the ways that technology has improved the realism of the settings and other aspects of the games.

They remind me of the kind of movies I believe you are referring to. In the absence of anything new for a "plot" let's substitute special effects.

It still doesn't sound like great literature to me.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/27/10 09:35 AM. Reason: grammar

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C