> I assume the problem is primarily a bandwidth issue, but it happens even if all other computers which might access the network are asleep.

As I mentioned in my linked thread, Apple's very convenient out on the dropouts, with which I have zero ability to argue, is that AirPort Express Base Stations operate on the same frequency as many other devices, baby's room monitors by way of example, and that any such device within 250 feet of a Base Station can cause a dropout when it's in use, so there's a chance that the other computers on your network are not responsible for at least some of your dropouts, and your best bet is probably to go the hard-wired, ethernet route.

My solution to the problem was to grit my teeth and pray that either the owner of the device would move out of the neighborhood, the device would fail and not be replaced, or the baby would grow up, and since I no longer experience the dropouts I guess one of those alternatives has come to pass.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire