Originally Posted By: plantsower
...the activity window ... just doesn't work for me. I only download youtube and I know some download managers don't work with that.

The issue has nothing to do with download managers, which in our case are identical except perhaps for the Safari version you're using (3.2.1; you might want to consider upgrading to Safari 4). But believe me, Safari can download YouTube videos this way: I do it all the time. If you do it right and it still won't work, there likely is something wrong with your setup (or with Safari's settings).

Assuming for a moment that your setup is fine, I suspect you're still not going about the Activity method the right way. You mentioned you got a watch.html related error. That happens when you Option-click on the YouTube link you posted above, and it downloads a 129KB file by that name that's of no use. Instead, bear with me once more and try the following:

In Safari:
- You open your YouTube link, and start the feature video there.
- Then open Safari's Activity window.

In Safari's Activity window:
- Find the listing for your video page. It has the same name as the YouTube page, but may be truncated as follows: YouTube - 2012 Event Horizon... Golden Age, by David Wilcock.
- Among the components listed for this YouTube video page you'll find the 192MB item I described above (towards the end of the page's listing). This item will not be present if the movie has not been started, but once started you can pause it.
- Option-double-click on that 192MB item to start the download. Safari's Downloads window will open and a new download called 'videoplayback' will appear there: that's your video.
- Let the download finish, and rename the file with the YouTube video's real name, and append .flv to the name. Done.
- You can play back the video with an FLV viewer, or with Quicktime (for example, you can drag the file onto the QT icon in the dock if you have it listed there).

If your experience deviates from the above description, you took a different turn somewhere. If you're sure you didn't, and it still doesn't work for you, there is a problem somewhere that we'll have to find and identify. But that's for later.

alternaut moderator