I generally have several books going at the same time. Recently most of my fiction titles have been either on the Kindle app on the iPad, the iBook app on my iPhone, or they are audio books on the iPhone or iPod I read/listen to in the car or at the gym. I tend to read fiction series. My current fiction titles are:
  • The Lost Fleet series by John G. Hemry (a.k.a. Jack Campbell) [iBook on the iPhone]
  • The Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell [audio book on the iPhone]
  • Robert Jordan's The Gethering Storm by Brandon Sanderson [audio book on the iPod in my car]
  • Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho series [the Kindle app on the iPad]
For whatever reason, non-fiction titles are hard copy. Probably because it is easier to have three or four hard copy books open on my desk ready to be picked up than it is to pull out the electronic reader device and call up the book. At the moment I have the following open and being read/used:
  • The Filemaker Bento Book [I have used Bento for years, but I finally decided to get serious with a woodworking projects database and have discovered how powerful Bento really is]
  • Scribus Manual [a new project for me]
  • Calvin by Bruce Gordon
  • Ellsworth on Woodturning
  • Wood Identification and Use by Terry Porter
  • Earl Scruggs and the Five String Banjo
  • Instructions In Faith (1537) by John Calvin
As I look over these lists, I realize how much they reflect how catholic my interests are. (Please note that is little "c" and not big "C" catholic.) Needless to say I don't "read" all of these every day and I am a bit like Alternaut in the time I have to dedicate to reading fiction each day; maybe 30 to 45 minutes. Listening to the audio books depends on how much time I spend in travel each day but that can easily add up to an hour or more; or even several hours on a cross-country trip. The non-fiction books are all read on an" as needed basis and may total anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours on any given day.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein