I am helping a small company with two networked computers and no server be able to share and update a single Filemaker database simultaneously without buying the Server Edition, which they tell me is $1,000 regardless of how many users. I thought maybe someone would know this one offhand.

I networked my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard and my Titanium running Panther. I have Filemaker 8.5 which I bought for the Ti because it never ran Tiger very well and Filemaker is nice in the fact that they offer a free upgrade to 8.5v2 that allows it to run under SL.

I got a DB to show up and be editable on both computers but the edits on one were not reflected on the other which rendered the whole setup useless. Is purchasing the server edition the only solution? Like a lot of other programs, I only know Filemaker well enough to do the things I have to do.

They are running Leopard on both computers and Filemaker 11. Does that make any difference? It is very disruptive to their workflow to do all kinds of experimenting there.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Slo

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air