Are you referring to the SSD command TRIM ? Additional info can be found in this MacRumors thread, and in the excellent AnandTech article linked to by the OP there.

Anyway, TRIM refers to a procedure to optimize writing to flash memory (see the paragraph ‘Flash drive specific issues’ in the Wikipedia link above). Since you can only write to empty memory cells, a time consuming data swap/erase/write cycle has to be followed on memory cells that store deleted data. If you could clear such old data before new write cycles, you could write data faster, and that’s what TRIM does.

The pro/con TRIM issue boils down to the difference in SSD performance (read/write speed) between TRIM supporting systems and those which don’t, and secondarily, perhaps, to the effect TRIM might have on the practical longevity of SSDs (which currently have a limited ‘write endurance’, as mentioned in the FTMF thread New HD died--thinking of SSD as replacement).

If I had an SSD wouldn’t worry if it didn’t have the benefit of TRIM, particularly if I would be satisfied with the SSD in general. Given the user comments on the issue I’ve come across, that seems the be the prevailing attitude.

alternaut moderator