Well, here I am AGAIN - and I'd been so quiet for so long until these past few days.
In Firewire Target Disk Mode, my (G4 Ti,867 MHz, 768 MB, OS X 10.4.11) laptop does not appear on my wife's MacMini (late 2009 OS X 10.5.8), although it did about 2 weeks ago when I last tried. It IS, however, detected in System Profiler/Firewire and also in Disk Utility (although most options are greyed out).
I have checked that the ports and cables work on both the laptop and Mini with other devices and all seems fine, except of course for the absence of the laptop on the Mini desktop.
For no apparent reason, by this time I was beyond reason, I tried to repair (again, but that's a previous story) the Disk on the laptop, but Disk Utility cannot seem to complete the repair of :-Incorrect number of thread records, invalid leaf count, invalid volume free block count. frown frown frown
S.M.A.R.T. Status is "Verified". I know, for what that's worth. tongue
Finally, as if I needed more aggravation, starting up now seems to take about 6 minutes compared to about 1 minute previously, and shut down is also taking longer.
Has anyone any suggestions regarding ANY of the aforementioned? Sorry, I realise its another how long is a piece of string type question.
Also, in anticipation, which would be the better utility, DW or TTP to try to address these problems. Or, perhaps the HD is beyond even them and a replacement might be a better bet. OR, is my machine now considered too old to be contemplating its revival - I'd obviously love a new MacBook/Pro but I can't really justify or afford one at this moment in time.
By the way, just in case I'm giving the impression that I too am beyond whatever, I do keep (fairly) regular back ups on external FW drives. cool
Thanks in advance. Regards. Mike
PS Having just shut down and started up again, I was given a reminder of something else I should have added. (Very) recently the laptop has been making an occasional, how should I describe it, gentle clunk noise - I first noticed it when I was trying to repair the Disk. Would this indicate more of a mechanical problem or can such noises be caused by "other" problems.
See, it/I doesn't get any clearer. Sorry. confused

Last edited by MikeS; 07/25/10 09:54 PM.