Artie, if I remember right, when you ran that tool I gave you earlier to check if files were compressed or not, it turned up "not compressed" for all the files you ran it on for the volume cloned using Restore, right?

If my memory's right, then that's all this is. The original files were compressed, the cloned ones aren't. The restore tool simply didn't preserve the compression, which isn't surprising, since it's probably just copying the files, and the way the HFS+ driver works in SL, if you copy a compressed file, it doesn't compress the result.

It's non-ideal, but it's still better than the custom Bombich rsync that backuplist+ uses, which tries to preserve the HFS compression, but apparently is prone to messing it up and corrupting the whole file.

The best way to avoid all these sorts of problems is always to click the "Erase Destination" check box when cloning. When using the Restore tab, this will often result in a block copy, which is pretty much guaranteed to be exactly the same as the original.