Originally Posted By: CharlesS
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
It may be then that the "memory alloc" message is simply to alert the operator that more than one call to the -exec utility was needed. I.e., it manages to process everything... but just alerts the operator that it wasn't all done within a single call.

Nope, it means exactly what it says: fts_read ran out of memory when trying to read a directory. My guess is that you've either got a really big directory somewhere on the disk, or that the disk is nearly full and there isn't much VM space.

No guess needed... man3 is well-known for its size.

But —pray tell —what are the useful consequences of “means exactly what it says” then?

And why doesn't that same message appear when running the same find command on the same hierarchy and only swapping {} \; for {} + ?

And BTW, i never said it didn't 'mean what it says'... so when you reply with "nope", it sounds as if you're disagreeing with something, but you: a) misrepresented (or misunderstood) what I was saying in the first place... and b) offered no alternative of your own which explains why both methods produce the same answer.

I was trying to explain what that message actually meant in terms of what happened. I.e., the command's activity within the filesystem, and the results we got. Though I admit my conclusion was based on some speculation, you have yet to prove anything I said was actually wrong, and/or offer any "right" answer.

I.e., if something ran out of memory, then why/how does it produce the same results as other methods which didn't run out of memory? So far, my explanation makes sense... and you haven't even provided one which might be worthy of either debate or agreement.

/posted from my iPad.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/03/10 05:22 AM. Reason: style