Quote:
You do come up with some doozies.

Having nothing happen —other than a new prompt —for that particular string is VERY strange.

We could maybe see part of your history?

grep du ~/.bash_history

First, my memory failed me, and I misspoke (Sorry!); I was asked for my password.

Here's what happens:

Code:
Artie's-MacBook:~ artie$ sudo du -xhd1 /
Password:
Artie's-MacBook:~ artie$ sudo du -hd1 /
Artie's-MacBook:~ artie$ sudo du -sh /*
Artie's-MacBook:~ artie$ grep du ~/.bash_history
Artie's-MacBook:~ artie$

Apparently no "du" command will run.

I thought the problem might be either something I stripped from my 10.6.3 installation in the interest of getting it a small as possible, Directory Utility and Spotlight come to mind, or permissions, but the same items have been stripped from my 10.5.7 installation, and "du" runs all the same, and permissions on both volumes are the same.

My best guess is still that my problem is something that's missing from my 10.6.3 installation, but I've nary a clue... Anybody?

[Perhaps off-topic, perhaps not...] I tried to reinstall Directory Utility in 10.6.3, but Pacifist kept popping-up

Code:
Error:

Something has modified Pacifist's application bundle. The application could be damaged, or could be infected by a virus. Please download an unaltered copy of Pacifist. (Clicking on "OK" causes the app to quit.)

and several fresh downloads generated the same pop-up. The issue doesn't occur in 10.5.7. (I've e-mailed Charles Srstka.)[/Perhaps...]

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire