I had another revelation when pondering flash on a touch device... lets say you are a man walking on a map. One of the terrain types is swamp. When you walk your man through the swamp, he walks slower.

This works because the position of your mouse or finger on the trackpad is not 1:1 with the movement of the man on the map. You may move your mouse 3" to the right and the man crosses the entire map, or maybe only 1/3 of the map. It works because you are moving the pointer/man, and it's ok for it to move at a different speed (or stop completely) even if your mouse keeps moving. Say you hit a wall and stop. You can continue to move your mouse to the right as the man tries to push through the wall and gets nowhere. Eventually you move your mouse up instead and he continues up.

Now think about how weird that would get on a touch interface. You move your finger past the wall and the man stops at the wall. Your finger continues moving right for several inches as the man "jogs in place". Then you start swiping upward.

Now the man is at a different location on the screen than your finger is.

I have no idea how you'd work around that as a developer. Probably your only sensible solution would be top STOP the movement until the user stopped swiping, and picked up his finger and put it back down on the man and re-acquired control. Clumsy but I suppose doable. Absolutely would require recoding the app.

The same problem would come up with the swamp example above. I can think of several other games where you can get "nommed" by critters that you have to "shake off" or they slow you down or stop you completely. Games like that would have the above issue.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department