I checked the home folder on all three Macs here, all running OS X 10.6.3, and the same folders are marked as "custom access" in all of them. According to FileXaminer most of those have privileges of 700 and a couple have 755.

However, when I look at the ACL permissions using TinkerTool System on one of the folders with POSIX permissions of 700 I find there is an ACL in effect that denies everyone access to the folder, all levels, and is labeled custom. Looking at the "Effective Permissions" for my user account, again using TinkerTool System, I find that even though I have POSIX read, write, execute privileges for the folder, I do not have Delete privileges for the folder itself and neither can I change the owner of that folder. The folder(s) in question are those required by OS X to be in the user's home folder such as ~/Library. If you haven't tried it, Marcel Bresink's TinkerTool System 2 is chock full of obscure but useful stuff like this.

V1, Hal, or DK has already mentioned ACLs as a possibility for the "custom access" (I'm too lazy to go back and look smirk ) but TinkerTool System confirms their opinion. Get Info focuses on the POSIX permissions and the "custom access" flag is simply a grossly simplified way of flagging the fact that no matter what the POSIX permissions are there is an ACL that may change the effective permissions. Frankly, given the possibilities offered by ACLs that is not surprising.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein